Wednesday 31 January 2007

And back..

Well, more than a week later anyway.

I'll share more about what happened soon(tm), on both my ski-trip, and perhaps in the week after that, one I spent doing absolutely nothing constructive and simply enjoyed myself with my loving girlfriend.

But first let me tell you about right now..

Right now, I'm enjoying the pleasures of one of them u3 usb stick thingies. Playing around the web (ie. this blog), enjoying msn, *and* somehow, mysteriously, doing my job, making some money. Now this only works of course when you're left alone (like now). Not because people have a fucking clue what I do when I'm typing, but it just allows you to be sarcastic about folk you're working for, while they pay you, without having to worry at all about them *maybe* having a clue.

Is it proper work ethics? Probably not.

Do people who invest €1000s in electronics and toys (including 500€ worth of coffee machine) yet refuse to pay a few dozen euros for pc security (think maintenance, antivirus, etc) after being told repeatedly how very very important it is have it coming? Absolutely.


Edit:
Well, after a chat I had 1 minute ago, I figured I should add a bit of the conversation I had with the folk I was working at earlier.

me: "Nice machine there" (coffee maker)
them: "Oh yes, we have this one, and these two here, 170 euros each, but amazing"
me: "Nice indeed, now, where were we, ah yes, maintenance. Proper pc-cleaning and such, the type that works automatically when I'm not around, and when you're not using the pc for anything intensive, shouldn't cost more than about... 40 euros"
them: "Oh, but I don't want to spend any more money, I need a 5000 euro operation"

I wanted to give them a wondered look and say "I thought brain surgery was way more expensive", but I guess one shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you entertainment. That's also the reason why I didn't offer free software in exchange for a titanium coffee maker. Doubt they'd been able to laugh about that anyhow.

No comments: